Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Threshing Floor


The Threshing Floor
The threshing floor—a term that sounds so harsh, but a place that brings about so much goodness.

I am not an expert on this subject or the process of how it is accomplished, but I have a basic understanding. In reading the small amount about it that I did I was astonished at the method of threshing wheat. Threshing is the process of loosening the edible part of the grain (the crop) from the inedible part (the chaff). After the grain is harvested (the initial planting of the cereal grain) it must be taken to the threshing floor. Before the invention of threshing machines donkeys or oxen were used to separate the chaff from the crop by having them walk on the grain in small circles around the threshing floor. Once the grain is threshed it must be winnowed. Winnowing is the process of purifying the harvest. The mixture left on the threshing floor would simply be thrown into the air on a windy day and because the chaff is much lighter than the crop the crop would fall straight down while the chaff would be carried away with the wind. Once the grain has been completely threshed and winnowed you are left with only the crop, only the usable part of the grain.

Being here I have seen myself in new light. Blind spots have come out of the shadows and now shine so brightly in my face, a light that is polluted by my flesh. I could continue on the same way, trying to see through the flesh infected light, and live with a permanent squint. Or, I could go to the threshing floor.
 Here I am, arms up, ears open. The Lord is speaking. This last month I have felt Him ground out the parts of me that will not be useful to His kingdom. It’s funny how I felt so much pain, my heart was heavy laden and filled with unrest. Everything inside of me fought to hold tight to what Jesus didn’t want me to have. “No, Father, this is all I know.” “No Father, what will I do with this?” “No Father, this is how I’ve always been.” He was gracious and patient with me, and now I lay here on the threshing floor. Chaff surrounding me. I see it as chaff, not as a part of me. I see it and I hate tit. I praise my God that He took it away from me.
            Now I am taking slow deep breaths, welcoming the winnowing. I am glad to see my hindrances blow away in the wind. I am glad to be in the refining process, this process never-ending.
            Dear Christian, don’t be afraid of the threshing floor. Welcome it, and endure the pain, you will surely glow with the light of life in Jesus afterwards.
           
I came across a wonderful devotional by C.H. Spurgeon, I want to share a few sentences with you, but I encourage you to follow the link and read the whole passage!

That which was bred in the bone is hard to get out of the flesh. Threshing is used to loosen our hold of earthly things and break us away from evil. This needs a divine hand, and nothing but the grace of God can make the threshing effectual. Something is done by threshing when the soul ceases to be bound up with its sin, and sin is no longer pleasurable or satisfactory. Still, as the work of threshing is never done till the corn is separated altogether from the husk, so chastening and discipline have never accomplished their design till God's people give up every form of evil, and abhor all iniquity . . . Threshing becomes needful for the sake of our usefulness; for the wheat must come out of the husk to be of service. We can only honour God and bless men by being holy, harmless, undefiled, and separate from sinners. O corn of the Lord's threshing-floor, thou must be beaten and bruised, or perish as a worthless heap! 


http://www.spurgeon.org/misc/thresh.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment