Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Awesome In Power

The first worship song I heard played in Africa was Our God—Our God is stronger, our God is greater, God you are higher than any other. Our God is healer, awesome in Power, our God, our God...and if our God is with us than who could ever stop us, if our God is for us than what could stand against?—It was a sweet whisper of a warning at the time, "You are just beginning my child, you will face opposition, but if you allow me to be with you, who could ever stop us?" I was so encouraged hearing that song. I remember the emotions perfectly. It was my first day here, I had just arrived at Calvary Chapel Entebbe for the first time and was completely overwhelmed. I was surrounded by children, beautiful children that pulled tears from my soul to my eyelids and I struggled all morning to keep the tears at bay. It was the Saturday Kids Club Party, and everyone was gathered to sing some songs, meet the visitors, and begin the party! The first song they sung was Our God. A few of the kids knew the words and sung with smiles on their faces, ignorant to the deep meaning of the powerful words. I closed my eyes and let the words seep into my soul. 
The next day, my first Sunday attending Calvary Chapel Entebbe, Bosco, the worship leader, sung Our God with the congregation. I assumed it was a regular church song, considering I had heard it two days in a row. I closed my eyes, raised my hands, and sung as loud as I could. "If our God is for us what could stand against?" So powerful. I knew my God was with me and I was prepared to face any attacks the enemy had planned for me. 
Here I am, almost exactly one month after my first day here, wiping the dirt from my knees and face daily after falling from the trips of the enemy. I seem to be held up in so many different ways, in every aspect of ministry and personally. Satan started small and slow, but he gained confidence and began to yell and destroy, bombarding the entire team with his obnoxious presence. 
When people talk about the Attacks of the Enemy, and tell me to be prepared, for some reason I always expect the attacks to come as loud and obvious as a literal bomb being dropped in my path. I seem to forget that this enemy of ours is furtive and oh so crafty. He slithers in so low to the ground that he is able to go unseen and silently tangle himself around our ankles, not touching flesh or bones, and at the opportune moment he stretches his snake like body in both directions and tightens his scales around us to make us trip so unexpectedly.  
Tonight, during the midweek service we sung, Our God is stronger, our God is greater, God you are higher than any other. Our God is healer, awesome in Power, our God, our God...and if our God is with us than who could ever stop us, if our God is for us than what could stand against? Not the whole song, just these lines. Just what I needed to hear. I was beginning to think I was too weak to be here, beginning to think things COULD stand against me and things COULD break down my walls. I felt like I was losing my strength and I was running out of my ability to be strong. Jesus knew I needed a reminder. He is on my side, He is interceding for me, He is fighting for me. He will be my strength, and my rock to stand upon. Satan has nothing but mind games. Satan has no power. My God is awesome in power!


(Song by Chris Tomlin)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Olivia, Remember my love not to listen to the voice that screams louder but to listen to the still quiet voice that doesn't feel the need to scream. I pray daily that you will hear His whispers and promised above the lies. I love you and can't imagine how hard it must be to live where you are and face what you are facing each moment. Dear Sweet Lord, Strengthen this team with your might and power, continue to minister to them in your songs, and your word, and help them to love eachother and to lift eachother up daily. Help them to take each thought captive and make it obedient to you, bind the enemy from their thoughts and dreams, give them each physical, emotional and mental strength from your Son poured out onto them each day. Amen.

    ReplyDelete